Gizzy in Heaven!

Gizzy in Heaven!
I love you forever and ever, Amen!

Followers

Saturday, April 24, 2010

Milltown Murals Motorcade 2010

Today, Lakeland celebrated it's annual Milltown Murals Motorcade event. I found out at the last minute when driving to town for some groceries. See what I almost missed because I don't read the paper, nor watch TV?

While the historic murals always line the streets of this Lanier County town, an estimated 100 vintage vehicles roll into Lakeland during that event as part of the Milltown Murals Motorcade.

The mural series is often called Milltown Murals because Milltown was the town’s name until 1925 when the name changed to Lakeland in honor of beautiful Banks Lake but, more importantly, the murals bring a sense of 1920s Milltown to life.

Lumber and cotton were leading industries. Times were different then and many changes have occured in the past nine decades. While many towns barely remember their past, Lakeland remembers and celebrates it daily with over 20 life-sized painted murals of life in 1925 Milltown. For over a decade now scenes of a bygone era by South Carolina artist R.D. Waldrop, pop up around the town – by the hospital, a park, the historical society and a bank building.

I have posted about the town's murals before and included several photographs that I took. If you'd like to see an example of what you might see during a visit to Lakeland, just click below:

Milltown Murals Motorcade 2009

I took Gizzy to "his" beloved Roquemore Park and he was so amazed at what he saw. Normally when we go there is nobody there and we have the park to ourselves, but today there was lots of commotion, a nice display of old cars, music, refreshments and a few familiar faces:


Gizzy took it upon himself to keep a watchful eye on the little boy who was fishing with his net in the pond...and I kept an extra close watch on Gizzy, because he doesn't do well with small children and sudden moves. As we all know, children are full of sudden moves.











There was even an old firetruck on display (pictured on the left side of the photo.)
















...and of course, there was music and boiled peanuts, lemonade and popcorn.


We met up with an old friend, Hilda Patten, who no longer lives here. Her family has placed her in a home in another city where she can be well looked after as she's unable to take care of herself. Her momma passed away earlier this year at the age of 98 and her daddy the year before at 99, short of 3 days from his 100th birthday. They were married for 77 years. Here sitting with Gizzy is Hilda Patten of the  Patten family who practically established this town - let's just say a very old family name, along with some very old money.

A few years back, when I first met Hilda, she used to be able to do some embroidery and sewing, but now she does mostly beading work, but still enjoys looking at crafts magazines and talking crafts with me. Whenever I pass the Patten home, that now stands empty and is used for special family gatherings only, Gizzy still wants to turn into her driveway on our walk to the lake, because we often stopped by to chat or take her with us to sit by the water for some people watching - and talking. She loves to talk to everyone! I miss her living here. My world seems just a little more empty without her calling and waiving at me. That's the problem with friends who move away. I'm sure you're all familiar with that feeling.



























Ok, Gizzy, it's time to go home - the wind is picking up and we might get some more rain. It was a very pleasant afternoon and I so enjoyed the music.

6 comments:

♥ Kathy said...

That looks like so much fun! I love vintage cars :) Gizzy looked a little tuckered out there at the end lol Glad you got to see your old friend too!

Deborah said...

That looks like fun! I want to buy an old car! My step son has the red car with white roof you showed. It's nice. He does all his work himself on it! He uses it as his everyday car also. Gizzy had fun too, so that was. I love to run into surprises like that. Unexpected fun!
Have a nice Sunday!
Deborah

Kerrie said...

Oh what fun! We would have loved to be there with you! ♥Kerrie

Sandi (Meme) said...

What a fun day! Hope your weekend was as good! Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment about my grand daughter on Pink Saturday. Have a blessed upcoming week!

Anonymous said...

Gizzy's park looks like a beautiful place to spend some time and finding an Event on, what a nice surprise.
Just saw on the news that the South of the USA has been hit by tornadoes and severe storms, Georgia being listed as a State that has been put on alert. I hope that your area is well out of the path of the storms. Stay safe.

Holly, the Old Western Gal said...

It is sad when friends die or move or just become so different that the friendship wanes. When my ex divorced me, I lost not only that relationship but all the people I had thought were my friends! It's taken a long time to recover.

Gizzy looks handsome as usual!