Gizzy in Heaven!

Gizzy in Heaven!
I love you forever and ever, Amen!

Followers

Saturday, April 24, 2010

Hanging basket

So now that I have no more shade, I can hang baskets on the hooks of the building to grow something. Before I never had enough sun, only now I have too much. I actually burned my forearm on the front door yesterday - that's how hot it was. You could fry an egg on that door (I think it's metal disguised as wood.) Anyhow, I planted some cherry tomato seeds and hung the basket in front of my living room window. I purchased a kit a while back, only I used a bigger basket that I already had, and will use the smaller one for some herbs.



It's drizzling today, so it's not too hot yet. I actually took down the living room curtains and hung a dark blue bed sheet on there till I buy the bamboo covers for the outside. Keeping it dark helps and I am using all my fans. I have two ceiling fans and one that goes in the window for the dining room. I actually don't even have a dining room, but converted it into my den/office space since I rarely have company for dinner. When I do, then it's totally informal and buffet style. I've not done fancy for a very long time.


Here's what's remaining of "my" tree and Middi is actually using it as a scratching post. It makes a bit of a mess, but thanks to the vinyl flooring, it's easy to sweep up.




 
 
 
 
 
 
I'm back to do some crocheting now. I also have to prepare for a trip on Monday afternoon. My neighbor is having her back surgery, so I'm taking her to Columbus, Georgia, for her pre-op procedures and then I'm coming back Tuesday night when her family will join her for her actual surgery the following day. My neighbor, Wendy, will look after Gizzy and Middi and I will bring my digital to take some photos. I've never been to Columbus, so I might find something interesting to talk about upon my return.
 
Oh, speaking of digital: Yesterday I had a problem with my camera. The display kept saying "card not initialized", when indeed I have been using it all along. Anyhow, I decided to try the other picture card to see if I would get the same message. Well, when I went into my camera pouch to get the picture card, I found some money in there that I had stashed when I went to the Powwow in Fargo. I really needed some cash because, let's face it folks, I'm on Disability and during the last week of the month it's pretty much beans and rice for this ole gal... at least till my car's paid off. I'm sure stuff like that has happened to you before. Isn't it great when you find money you didn't know you had, like in a coat pocket or a purse?

6 comments:

Silke Powers said...

Liebe Doris, I love how you are already looking at the bright side of losing your tree - you'll be able to grow some delicious tomatoes and herbs! I know about those hot front doors - many of them are metal anymore - ours as well. We just painted it and it took five coats of paint!

I hope all goes well on your trip and that you'll get to take lots of fun pictures for us.

How great that you found money - that's always a great surprise!!

It's drizzling here as well! Love, Silke

♥ Kathy said...

I've been wanting one of those baskets! And yay for the tree becoming a scratching post..that's recycling :) Hope you're having a nice day today..it's raining like crazy here!

Keri said...

Have read up on your tree disaster. What a shame to lose that. I'm anxious to see how your basket tomatoes turn out. With our big Greyhounds, we have trouble planting anything down at their level. I've wondered about the hanging ones.

Cool beans about finding the money. I just love it when that happens, kind of like I've been living right or something! :)

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you found something positive out of the negative of the tree being cut down. Enjoy those homegrown tomatoes and herbs.

Holly, the Old Western Gal said...

I am so glad you found some money unexpectedly! That's the best kind!!! Always a welcome surprise.

Those bamboo shades will help a lot. It is such a shame they cut the tree down, what wretched people.

Samantha G said...

Look at you, finding the positive in such a negative thing. I'll have to keep following to read about how the baskets do, because when we move I would like to plant some- even if not until next year. Just think, fresh veggies and herbs and no weeding and hopefully no birds pooping on them or other animals coming to use them (as I see you addressed being worried about with the strawberries... yikes!). I have basil in the house now, but I should have potted some other herbs too. I hate when I need just a handful of them and they sell them in HUGE bunches at the grocery store, which I'll never be able to use up!