Gizzy in Heaven!

Gizzy in Heaven!
I love you forever and ever, Amen!

Followers

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Vitamin D anyone?

Well, it was a beautiful, sunny day yesterday in good ole Southern Georgia. The Deer Fest afforded me a surplus of Vitamin D and I have the sun kissed skin to show for it.

As reported in my previous post, I only sold two hats. My friend, who is also my neighbor, gave me some stuffed animals to sell for the kiddies and those all sold but one, because they were only a couple dollars each. She and her 86-year old mom purchased some stuffed animals from a second hand store especially for my display at the Deer Fest. Wasn't that sweet? She surprised me yesterday morning by showing up at my door ready to help and declaring that she's going with me. I'm not sure I could have done it all by myself with loading and unloading all that stuff, which is why I don't go out to show my work very often as it is all physically taxing and my back just won't play along.

Here's Betty sitting under my market umbrella - we had a spot next to the feed supply tent (after all, we do live in the country here) Betty and I feed the stray cats in our section of the apartment complex. She is one of the few compassionate people who, unlike most of the others, does not preach the gospel, but lives it by example. I'm very lucky to have her call me part of her family.




All in all it was a lovely day and I enjoyed talking to people and seeing everyone having a good time. There was some live music, line dancing, raffles for rifles and guns (of course) and wild game suppers (i.e. deer, elk, boar, wild turkey) The most difficult part for me was resisting the Blooming Onions. Every time someone walked by with one of those, I wanted to try one so badly, only I was a good girl and didn't cave in. Betty had to leave for a little while to check on her mom (who is also a resident here where I live) and surprised me with a small spinach salad with broccoli and tomato when she returned.

Betty has a big family and she knew just about everyone at the Deer Fest from "way back" so I got to meet some new people and must say, I enjoyed myself even though I really needed to earn some money.

Betty's grand children have horses and they brought some ponies and goats for the kiddies. They made over $200 yesterday, selling 2$ rides and 50 cents baggies of food for the goats and horses. The animals all had plenty of food and water and nobody got hurt. Here are some photos:



I love this photo of the little boy and the goat having a moment together! There were so many cute little kids out there yesterday - it truly was a wonderful day for families and friends (old and new.)

When I got home, I thought my Gizzy would burst for joy. He was crying and letting me know that he missed me - and Middi just wanted to get out. She slipped out once already in the morning when we were loading up the car, but thankfully, I managed to trick her back inside by rattling her kibbles. She's such a rascal.

3 comments:

♥ Kathy said...

It looks like it was a fun time Doris! I love the picture of the boy and the goats too :) And I love the dolls on your stand! So pretty!

Kerrie said...

Well, that was enjoyable!! I really had fun catching up on your blog! With the 50th Anniversary and then the Heart Cath, I was really behind. Your photos are so beautiful Doris! ♥ Hugs, Kerrie

Silke Powers said...

Oh, it looks like you had a wonderful time, Doris! I love those kinds if festivals and fairs. And hasn't the sun been nice? I've been sitting outside letting the sun dry up my cold... Thank you for all your sweet comments!! Liebe Gruesse! Much love, Silke