Gizzy in Heaven!

Gizzy in Heaven!
I love you forever and ever, Amen!

Followers

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Meatless Easter meal options

I quit eating beef (or any red meat) a long time ago, but still find myself struggling with hot dogs, probably the worst food for you and the smell of charcoiled meat on a grill still makes me yearn. Ocasionally I do enjoy a chicken or turkey dog with sauerkraut on a whole wheat bun. Obviously, I'm not a vegetarian, I just happen to love, love LOVE fresh vegetables (and fruits too.) So, I've been including more beans, legumes, nuts and seeds in my diet. I still love eggs and don't mind if I go out to eat where they serve chicken or fish. I will not call PETA and report anyone for killing an animal. I'd probably eat a lot more fish if I could find decent fresh fish.

So, with all the Easter ham and turkey recipes out there, I wanted to provide a couple of recipes for vegetarians or people who, like me, simply love to eat veggies:

This Savory Onion Pie with a green salad would make a perfect meal for an onion-lover like me:

4 to 5 large Vidalia onions (large white onions will do)
3 tablespoons butter (or margarine - personally, I don't touch the stuff!)
1 cup crushed Ritz cracker crumbs (or your preferred crackers. I like simple saltines)
4 large eggs
1/3 cup milk
salt and pepper to taste (I love lots of freshly crushed black pepper)
1 cup sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded (I prefer Swiss)

Slice onions into thick slices; separate into rings. Sautee onions rings in butter on low heat until clear and tender. Do not brown!

Spray 9" glass pie plate with Pam cooking spray (or lighty brush on some vegetable oil). Press cracker crumbs into bottom; do not press on the sides, but bottom only! Pour onions with butter onto the crumbs.

Beat eggs with fork; continue beating while adding milk, salt and pepper to taste (be light on the salt because it's easy to oversalt the eggs - I don't use any, because the saltines and the cheese is salty - I'd rather add salt later if need be.) Pour egg mixture around and over the onions; do not overflow! Top with shredded cheese.

Bake at 350 degrees for about 25 to 30 minutes or until eggs are puffed up and light golden brown. Let stand for five minutes before slicing into wedges.

NOTE: if you want to have some meat, this recipe is great with grilled steak or chicken, but I will have a big, green salad instead.

And this one is a Lentil Shepherd's Pie I'm going to try:

1/2 pound lentils, cooked and drained

1 onion, diced

1/2 tsp crumbled fresh sage

1/2 tsp minced garlic

pinch of dried oregano

1 tsp salt

dash cayenne pepper

3 large potatoes, cooked (I will substitute yams or sweet potatoes for this)

1/2 to 1 cup of hot soy milk (or regular milk)

Butter to taste
-----------------------------------------
Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees.

In a large mixing bowl, mash the cooked lentils thoroughly and add the onion and seasonings. Put the lentil mixture in a lightly oiled casserole dish.

In a separate bowl, mash the potatoes and add the hot soy milk, margarine and salt. Beat by hand or with an electric mixer until fluffy.

Spread the mashed potatoes on top of the mashed lentils and bake for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are dry on top.

Place the pie under the broiler to brown on top. Serve warm!
------------------------------------------
This open faced mushroom sandwich is one of my favorites! (you could call it S.O.S. without the S) - it's more or less "mushrooms on a shingle."


This is a very simple way for me to fix one of my big time mushrooms jones':

Fresh mushrooms - any kind - the same or assorted, it doesn't matter
Butter
Vegetable oil
Salt
Caraway seeds
Rye bread (or your favorite whole wheat or seed bread)
Swiss cheese, thinly sliced (optional...or your favorite cheese)

First, I clean and slice the mushrooms and set aside.
In my trusty teflon, non-stick pan, I add a little 1/2 butter and 1/2 olive oil (not too much) just enough to coat the bottom. Turn pan to cover the bottom.
I then add the mushrooms, sprinkle with a little salt and a few caraway seeds (careful with those- they are potent and very flavorful!)
I allow to sautee the mushrooms till tender and most of the juice from the mushrooms has evaporated
(Optional step: toast bread slices in the toaster)
Place a slice or two of bread on your plate and cover with heaping mounds of mushrooms (on mine you can't even see the bread)
Lastly add a slice of swiss - or not - and eat open faced with a knife and fork
A green side salad or a few slices of fresh, vine-ripened tomatoes make this meal complete.

NOTE: If you want to go all out, bake your own bread and be transported to heaven on earth!

Now that I made myself totally hungry, I'll go see what's in the fridge.

4 comments:

♥ Kathy said...

Those are some pretty yummy looking recipes Doris :)

Holly, the Old Western Gal said...

I love love love that mushroom sandwich! I eat "mushies" a lot, they seem like meat to me without killing anything (except poor Mr. Mushroom, I guess!).

Samantha G said...

This post absolutely has me DROOOOOLING! I have recently discovered that I love, love, love cooking with leeks. Who knew? I'm exploring more and more vegetarian recipes, too. I haven't quit eating meat altogether but I don't like it much, so why go out of my way to have it? Oh- here's another onion recipe you might like! I loved this! I couldn't find some of the spices so I just subbed whatever and it was good:
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=recipe&dbid=79

The Beneficial Bee said...

I can't stand mean, so I love a good vegetarian recipe! I'm actually trying to force myself to eat some meat for the baby, but it is not going well. I think my body is telling me something!