Gizzy in Heaven!

Gizzy in Heaven!
I love you forever and ever, Amen!

Followers

Monday, March 22, 2010

Be good to your pets!

If you don't have a dog yourself, chances are you know someone who does.  If you're reading this, you know how nuts I am about my little boy.

Just wanted to share a list of foods that are poisonous to your precious pet, so don't give him a "treat" of these or else he may get deathly ill and possibly not even survive:

Chocolate

Cocoa

Grapes

Raisins

Avocados

Onions/Garlic

Macademia Nuts

There are probably more, other than the obvious chemical substances (including alcohol.) I know some guys think it's funny to watch their dogs drink beer like them - only a dead dog is no laughing matter.

If you have to feed your pets (including cats) people food, please be sure and check with your veterinarian if you've not sure. I know a lot of folks cook for their animals, but I trust they have done the research to know what's safe and what is not.

Also medicating your pets with people medications is a very dangerous thing to do! Please consider that cats and dogs have a different metabolism and what is ok for your dog, is probably not ok for your cat. Always, always, always check with a veterinarian - and they do give out advise for free over the phone if they think you're going to do something drastic! Never, ever give Tylenol® or Advil® - just because it may be ok to give your dog a baby aspirin once in a while, does not mean they can have other pain medications, such as acetominophen and ibuprofen. REMEMBER that Tylenol is fatal for cats!
 
You can read more to learn about things that you should not give your dog on Vet Info.com.
You can also get a pet question answered here.

Never skimp or try to save money by taking a chance with your pet's life if you don't want to see them injured. Most likely it will cost more money trying to save them than to treat them properly in the first place.

You know, aside from cats and dogs, I have owned several different species of animals for pets in my life time, including a California Rex rabbit, two chinchillas, a couple of Hooded rats, freshwater fish and a Teddy Bear hamster and always started out by buying a book about the animal. There is lots to learn and it makes for a much more enjoyable realationship. Look at it as an owner's manual for a living creature. Dogs and cats have been with us for so long that we think of them and therefore treat them like people (myself included) thus it should be ok to feed and medicate them the same - but they are not! Even different dog and cat breeds have different personalities and life styles that should be considered before making them part of our family. Buy a book. Learn about your pet and I promise, you both will be happier for it.

7 comments:

♥ Kathy said...

We've always been big animal lovers too Doris! We've had cats, dogs, rabbits, birds, fish, my turtle who is now 21 years old, pigs, goats, chickens, hamsters, guinea pigs and various insects (I had an ant farm once and a tarantula!). Thanks for helping us keep our babies safe ♥

Abatevintage said...

Doris,

Thank you for your visit this morning, and your wonderful prayers and thoughts on this hurendous situation I have found myself in.

God bless you hope you have a wonderful week.

Hugs,
Heidi

Denise Marie said...

who would share a macadamian nut with their pet? I don't even share them with my boys. lol

Blessings crochet girlie!!

Doris Sturm said...

You'd be surprised, Denise, what a cute face and a begging stance can do for a dog. Gizzy begs for everything I eat and half of the time he doesn't even want it - he does love eating peanuts with me. I can't even shell them fast enough for the both of us. He's such a little stinker!

Holly, the Old Western Gal said...

My vet hollers LOUD and LONG at people who, in his words, "quack on their pets." He says he has seen many a dead dog because some "idiot" gave them people meds...

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your suggestion. I think you are absolutely right on the money. A button would work great.

Julie said...

Hi Doris, Thanks so much for all the info ...I knew about all the foods but the nuts...Thanks so much because we eat a lot of nuts around here because they are so good for humans....( and I do share small little taste bits with those big brown eyes)I do so love my sweet Miss Lucy...she is only three and I want to keep her around as long as I can...
xoxo
Julie & Miss Lucy