Gizzy in Heaven!

Gizzy in Heaven!
I love you forever and ever, Amen!

Followers

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Cherokee of Georgia Spring Powwow

I was invited yesterday to come to an authentic Cherokee Powwow on Saturday April 3rd and I said yes...I can't wait! I met Jerry (who is Cherokee Indian) at a mutual friend's pre-Valentine's party. He was at the library yesterday when I was returning some DVDs. Turns out he's a long time friend of another friend who goes to the library to use the computer regularly and she was there too, so we both got invited to go with him to St. George next Saturday, the 3rd.  It's near the Okefenokee Swamp (a National Wildlife Reserve), about a two-hour car ride from here. At first we hesitated because it entails camping overnight in a tent and we both snore. Jerry said we can use one of his tents. It'll be interesting to see who falls asleep first, because I'm going to lay awake, waiting for her to fall asleep and she'll probably do the same. Here's the link to the website, if anyone wants to take a look:

Cherokee of Georgia

Jerry said that this is not an ordinary powwow where there is 95% tourists and 5% tribal Indians, but more like the other way around.

Im so excited! I can hardly wait. I was told it's ok to bring my camera, so I'll be returning with lots of good photos. I've always been fascinated with Indian ways and when I found out that there will be story telling, I rememberd the spooky stories my ex mother-in-law used to tell me, who was Hopi Indian. Her stories made my skin crawl and my hair stand straight up. I LOVED them!

Now I have to call my mother in Germany and get some Easter cards mailed, but not before I walk the boy, he's standing here crying.

REMEMBER: It's Earth Hour tonight from 8:30 pm to 9:30 pm (all time zones) and I, for one, will turn  my lights off during that time.

7 comments:

Silke Powers said...

Oh, you'll love it!! Don't forget your camera if you are allowed to take pictures. When we lived in New Mexico, we were sometimes invited to go to the Zuni reservation to see their traditional dances that tourists don't get to see. It was always a powerful experience and the costumes were amazing! Enjoy camping! ;)

Love, Silke

Julie said...

HI Doris, This is so cool...Just in time ...I am starting a new MEME...I want it to be about things that go on in the towns that bloggers live in...I talk about it in my Pink Post this weekend...I am hoping to have it up and running around June...I would so love to ba able to link this post of yours in my next post about the MEME... Joining MEME's are a great way to get traffic to your blog...So please let me know what you think...I am also asking for help to spread the word...And I have a some what of a button on the side...Please come over for a visit and let me know what you think...
xoxo
Julie and Miss Lucy

*Ulrike* said...

Oh wow! That sounds like a lot of fun! I have some Cherokee in me from my father's side, but that was from a long time ago!! Don't forget your camera cause we are going to love seeing the pictures!!
Ulrike

Julie said...

Hi me again...This is a big deal...I Lived in OK for a long time...Lots of indians...I went with friends late one night to a powwow ...that we were not invited to...soon as they saw our car lights... they stopped everything...so we left... as we where out of sight we herd the drums start back up and the chanting...I am part Indian..Oh for that one second that they did not see us was hart pounding for me...It was dark, the drums, men and women dressed from head to toe in trible dress...chanting and dancing around the fire...it was around mid-night when we got there..So I know it was an authentic powwow...no out-siders...Go Girl take LOTS and LOTS of pictures...I wish I could go...Maybe Please maybe you will share this at my new MEME...
xoxo
julie

♥ Kathy said...

How exciting! I can't wait to see pictures!!

Deborah said...

WOW, please take your camera! I can't wait to see your photos!
Have a nice weekend!
Deborah

Julia said...

You are so lucky!! This sounds like great fun and I would not turn down the opportunity either. Looking forward to your summary later. Bye for now!