Gizzy in Heaven!

Gizzy in Heaven!
I love you forever and ever, Amen!

Followers

Monday, July 12, 2010

My own personal challenge

I'm taking a short break from reorganizing and shuffling around my crafting supplies, especially my yarns. I can't believe how much yarn I have. I filled two more big, plastic storage bins, but could use a couple more to be rid of the cardboard boxes once and for all. My bedroom is quickly becoming my personal hobby lobby, but since I live alone, it doesn't much matter.

So here's my personal challenge: to make this Peacock Afghan with only yarn I already have on hand.



The colors will not be exactly the same, but I will do my best to make it look nice, but I have so much yarn that needs to be used. The most difficult part will be finding 42 oz of the same yarn for the background...it'll probably have to be white or off white.

If anyone's interested in making this, I found the free pattern here on Free Pattern.com.

If it turns out nice, I want to send it to my dad and his wife in Germany for Christmas this year.  That means having to get started right away as I have other projects, like finally crocheting this Creche that I didn't have time for last year:



If anyone wants to make this, you can buy the pattern at e-Patterns Central.com.

Well, I'd best get back to my chores and hope I can find that box of vaccum bags for my Bissell so I can finish up here and get on with my more important crochet projects. (I know, housework sucks!)

Don't forget to enter my July Giveaway!

14 comments:

The Beneficial Bee said...

Wow, that peacock afghan is beautiful! I can't wait to see pictures of it when you are done with it!

Sandy said...

That is just gorgeous... can't wait to see it when you're all finished. I am doing the same thing... well, not the peacock afghan, but using only what yarn I already have. Besides, Mr. S. would kill me if I brought one more skein in.. ha ha!

Pammy Sue said...

Very pretty and unique. I hope you'll let us peek at your progress along the way.

AkasaWolfSong said...

That's a keeper Doris and I love the cooler colors of it! If you were here I'd send home the 2 garbage bags of yarn I have in my trunk that my Aunt gave me .... I don't know what I'll do with it. Maybe I should look through them and see if there is anything in there that would go well with your projects you have posted here? Ahhh...now I'm thinkin'! :) Sure wish I could learn how to crochet!

Many Blessings Doris and hope you are soon finished! Do take care in this heat! xoxo

The Colorful Bee said...

That is a beautiful pattern. Can't wait to see the finished project. I got my old yarn stash down to "bare bones" by making a scrap afghan for each of us during the winter. Now I have to actually buy yarn everytime I want to crochet something larger than a washcloth. But, hey, that just means 1 thing (and it's a favorite of mine) YARN. SHOPPING!!!!! Good luck with all the cleaning. And have fun crocheting.

Samantha G said...

That's a neat afghan and I love the Creche- it's so adorable! ANd kid friendly. I remember at Christmas I always wanted to play with the family Nativity, since it had animals and all, but I wasn't allowed. Little ones could have their very own that they *could* play with! :)

Beansieleigh said...

Hi Doris! My gosh, your dad and his wife will love such a beautiful gift I'm sure. It does look like it would be fun to play around with the colors a bit!.. The temps went back up today, but I didn't notice the humidity feeling quite so bad. Ubu is hanging in there with the rest of us.. well, some of the time anyways! His favorite spot in the house right now is on the bathroom floor, where I assume it must feel the coolest to him. I try to keep an eye that he's eating and drinking good, and no problems there!! Say "hi" to Gizzy and Middi for us, and have a good evening! ~tina

Signing Out said...

Doris, the afghan is gorgeous, and creche is amazing! I can't wait to see photos when you are done.

Deborah said...

WOW, I can't believe your going to make the afghan, that is great! You should post pictures on how your coming along with it! It is going to be beautiful and what a great gift to get! You Dad will love it!
xxoo
Deborah

glor said...

Doris, what a magnificent afghan. This will be a wonderful gift. Looking forward to seeing the progress of this. I'm doing the same thing, organizing my yarn. I won't need another skein for the rest of next winter, possibly longer. Love the creche too. You will be quite busy for a long time, but when its crochet its great! Have a wonderful night.

becky said...

Wow! What an amazing project to undertake! I can't wait to see it when you're finished!

Silke Powers said...

Oh, Doris, what a magnificent project!! I cannot wait to see how it turns out. And that creche is just so cute! You are one busy bee!! Love, Silke

I Wonder Wye said...

You are so talented it's flippen' awesome. That creche is the cutest thing I have ever seen! The afghan will be gorgeous! Let us see the cats when you're finished with one...

Mistea said...

Enjoy that peacock project very nice! Good luck with using up some stash yarn. Sure feels good when you make something useful from the collection.