Gizzy in Heaven!

Gizzy in Heaven!
I love you forever and ever, Amen!

Followers

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Arlene's Treasure Chests

I introduced you previously to a couple of my talented friends and promised to show you what one of them makes.

(Arlene and Gizzy)

 
Arlene is a woodworker and makes these adorable treasure chests:



She has all kinds of woodworking tools to make these pretty vessels for friends and customers. She said they are not just glued together, but screwed as well, so they are nice and sturdy. The bands on top may look like leather, but are actually pieces of wood that have been cut, shaped and bent to fit. Lastly, she rubs the wood with some type of varnish or stain to bring out the natural beauty of the wood and to protect it.



She gets leftover wood from a local cabinet shop, usually Pine or Birch. The metal embellishments are store baught (i.e. chains, hooks, upholstery tacks and locks.) The inside lining is made from upholstery remnants that she gets from a local boat maker company. All materials are new and have never been used, but are from scraps that otherwise would be discarded.


They all come with a lock and a removable jewelry tray. Sizes vary from small: 9 1/2" X9 1/2"X 8 1/2" to medium: 12" and large: 14" wide. She even makes big, dowry chests/or linen chest, about 30" X 30" X 24"

I have listed one for her in my Etsy shop to see if there's any interest for them. She's been making these for years and everyone loves them. She's especially busy during Christmas, so order early! I think they are adorable, don't you?


14 comments:

Erika said...

Yes, I think they are gorgeous and I am going to have to check it out on your etzy. Does she make other things besides them? It is nice to find quality work like this since so many are now cheaply made.

Talk to you soon....Erika

Keetha Broyles said...

That is GORGEOUS!

Doris Schmidt said...

Hallo Doris,
Leider ist unser Wunsch nicht in Erfüllung gegangen, die Spanie haben 1:0 gewonnen und sind genen die Niederlande im Finale!
Deutschland spielt jetzt umd den dritten Platz
Tschüss
Doris

Karin said...

Sehr praktisch and sieht ganz toll aus!!

glor said...

Wow, this is absolutely gorgeous! Very talented lady. No wonder she is very busy at Christmas. Does she have a web site?

Samantha G said...

What a beautiful craft! I love that you explained where everything comes from-it's ecofriendly in a way- and I would definitely have thought those were leather straps on the top! I can't imagine the amount of work that must go into something like this!

Susan said...

That is just BEAUTIFUL!!!

Susan

gin said...

arlene does beautiful work.

Simply Debbie said...

GOOD MORNING DORIS,
WHAT A TALENT ARLENE HAS. THOSE ARE GORGEOUS.
THE ONLY THING I HAVE SEEN CLOSE TO THAT IS THE ONE MY GREAT AUNT IVY HAD. GREAT UNCLE HARVEY MADE IT FOR HER. SHE KEPT LITTLE TOYS IN THERE AND EVERY TIME A CHILD VISITED, THEY WERE ABLE TO PICK A TOY OUT OF THE CHEST. I HAVE NEVER FORGOTTEN IT TO THIS DAY. IT IS AMAZING WHAT ARLENE MADE FROM SCRAPS THAT WOULD BE THROWN AWAY. I HOPE SHE IS TEACHING A CHILD OR GRANDCHILD HER CRAFT.
THANK YOU FOR VISITING ME TODAY AND LEAVING SUCH AN AWESOME COMMENT...YOU SHOULD BE A WRITER...I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR ABOUT YOUR CHILDHOOD IN GERMANY.
HUGS
SIMPLY DEBBIE
GIVE YOUR PRECIOUS DOG A HUG AND SHAME ON THAT CHIHUAHUA FOR HIKING HIS LEG ON HIS FACE.

Anke said...

Those are beautiful, your friend is very talented!

Julia said...

Hi Doris! Your friend makes amazing treasure chests. Ella asked me "Is that a TREASURE chest?" Since she immediately knew what that was. Very cool!

The Colorful Bee said...

They are amazing! Such talent!

meeyeehere said...

Wow, that was made by a person!!!!!!!!!!! Wow!!!!!!!!!

I love people with talent.I have none but I sure admire all you crafty folks.I just buy the stuff from crafty people to fill my home with lovely handmade items!

catsmum said...

such a shame that postage to Australia would be prohibitive on something that size. My DD ardently desires something just like these