Gizzy in Heaven!

Gizzy in Heaven!
I love you forever and ever, Amen!

Followers

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Earth Day is next Friday!

What are you doing to raise awareness and help our planet? (see my answer below)

 


Earth Day is a day that was founded by Senator Gaylord Nelson and focuses on environmental awareness. Another Earth Day called International Earth Day takes place earlier in the year on the Spring Equinox. 
Earth Day 
is
Friday, April 22, 2011
in the United States 
this year.


I try to be environmentally-friendly every day of the year, but I'm glad there's one day officially set aside now to raise awareness world-wide and to remind us to be more careful with our planet. By changing little things (i.e. don't litter and recycle) or making very big, personal decisions (like choosing to have no children or just one child) our combined affords can have a big impact on our environment. Please visit the EarthDay website and see what changes you might want to implement this year, if even just for one day! If nothing else, we must teach our children to respect our earth and take nothing for granted because this land is not inherited from our forefathers, but merely borrowed from our children.

Thank you and God bless you!

My contribution to preserving our planet:

Planted a garden to support honey bees and pollinators
Use my cloth bags instead of plastic shopping bags
Take shorter showers and turn off water in between sudsing
Help pick up litter around the lake and in nature
Walk more and drive less and ride share whenever possible
Support local farmers by buying local produce as much as I can
Purchase in bulk (large containers) and avoid individual serving sizes to reduce waste

Please help me spread the word about Earth Day and let me know about it so that I can enter you in a special drawing for a small thank you gift from me to you!

8 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

Your comments are right on, Doris!!!

Karin said...

Sure agree with all the efforts you write about. We've been taught environmental responsibility from childhood on and have passed it on to our children and children's children. Great post!

Ann said...

great message to spread. We do need to be more aware of what we are doing to the environment. Thanks for the reminder to be more careful

Gloria said...

Very good to pay attention to this! We watch our water, have timers on the hot water heater and use off peak hours to do laundry,dish washer, strict on recycling to mention a few. By the way, glad to see you and the Gizzie back. Have missed you both.

Doris Sturm said...

Thank you Gloria - I missed being here too! I'm glad my post worked and I keep my fingers crossed (for now) because I can't do any major computer repairs till after I get my car!

Mariette said...

Dearest Doris,

Indeed we still have a long way to go here in this nation for being more environmentally conscious!
Did you already check in here? http://asoutherndaydreamer.blogspot.com/2011/03/updated-georgia-bloggers-list.html

Lots of love, liebe Grüsse,

Mariette

Janine said...

Danke, dass du uns daran erinnerst.
Wir sollten Mutter Erde auf keinen Fall vergessen.
Ich wünsch dir einen schönen Palmsonntag
Janine

Chatty Crone said...

We are going to see the Earth Day movie on the 22nd. sandie