Gizzy in Heaven!

Gizzy in Heaven!
I love you forever and ever, Amen!

Followers

Friday, January 7, 2011

Communing with the water fowl

Gizzy and I have been spending a lot of time outside these days. We both love this weather! I can actually breathe easy and not be plagued by insects.

At the end of our walk around the lake, we always sit on one of several park benches to brush Gizzy's coat and spend quality time together. It's become tradition, that no matter where I chose to sit, Victoria, the Goose, will eventually swim over and walk out of the water to be near us in spite of Gizzy's barking (that I manage to control for the most part.)

Here she is walking up to get some kibbles:



She's very cautious and hesitant in approaching us, always looking at Gizzy who is sitting on top of the table, watching her..watching him...she's very smart (for a Goose!)

(observing through the slots of the park bench)



doing a little stretching


...or the hokey-pokey



 observing one another


 taking a break


and getting sleepy...eyelids are getting heavy


time for a snack...


walking over to where the ducks have a stash of cracked corn



best to eat quickly whilst their heads are in the water


oh-ohhh....here comes Mr. Mallard. For being so small, he always chases Victoria (and her two duck friends) from the food - and she lets him! I keep telling her she could whip his tail feathers if she wanted to...


Mrs. Mallard looks as if her feathers are getting lighter


For being so handsome, he sure is aggressive and very, very bossy!


What a handsome couple


Mrs. Mallard is the quackingest duck I have ever met...she simply cannot fly without quaaaaacking non-stop!


finding some nibbles...


That concludes our visit with the birds and I'll be back soon. I've been slacking in visiting everyone, but this is "my" time of the year when I want to be outside instead of sitting in front of the computer. When summer comes and I'm confined to the indoors with the air conditioner running, I'll be more actively blogging. I hope you understand.

20 comments:

Parsley said...

What a cute post!

Chatty Crone said...

I want to come down one weekend and go for a walk with you and Gizzy.

sandie

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

Awesome photo story you have here. We can't fault you at all for wanting to be outside. Have a wonderful weekend and enjoy the great outdoors.

Woos ~ Phantom, Thunder, and Ciara

Sandy said...

I would love to come visit you too ... you and Gizzy always share such wonderful pictures of your area I would love to come check it out. Enjoy your time outdoors... don't worry about us, we'll be here!

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

Excellent pics! I'm just the opposite - holed up more in the winter, out more in the summer :-)

Anonymous said...

Thank you Doris for such a delightful post. I wish I had been there with you to enjoy this fun morning.

OmaLindasOldeBaggsandStuftShirts said...

Gosh, I love this post. The ducks, geese are so interesting to watch. You are a fortunate one to be able to sit and watch.....and of course the one and only Gizzy, the most adorable peke in the world.
I am having a blog party,on March 19, Celebrate OZ. I would love to have you two join us for the fun. The Olde Bagg, Linda

Samantha G said...

Your goose is so cute... usually when I see them is when I'm jogging and they are in a huge cluster, and look pretty angry as I approach. They come intimidatingly close and make me nervous as I've been chased by them before!! Now that I see one with a cute face, maybe next time I won't feel nervous when I approach them. They were all over Harrisburg and yesterday I saw them here at a local park, too!

Ginny Hartzler said...

This is a wonderful post and I love it!! What a handsome friend you have made!! And great captures of the stretching and other things! Mallards can be so aggressive!! And the female doesn't surprise me at all. It just proves that it's not only human females who talk all the time. I imagine that the quacking during flight is being a backseat driver and giving the others directions!! She could be a duck GPS!!

Karin said...

Loved your guided tour of the lake and all the different geese and ducks! They seem to know and trust you! Maybe Gizzy talks to them in Tiersprache! That is so cool!

the booker man said...

miss doris and gizzy!

wow! your lake walkies look totally funsies! i think i would be way wary like of miss victoria, too. it's just what us doggies do! in fact, i prolly would chase her if i was there. heehee. i liked all your pictures very much, but my most fave was of miss victoria stickin' her left leggie out for the hokey pokey. BOL!
enjoy your outside time, okie dokie? i can understand you wantin' to enjoy the weather before it gets all hot 'n muggy again!

*woof*
the booker man

pee s -- i learned lots about gizzy from your last post. i love his bee costume so so much!!

Annie Jeffries said...

Love the photo story, Doris. It reminds me of when I was working and my building was right next to a lake filled with water fowl. It was always such a joy to walk around and visit with the birds. Some, like the white barnyard geese, were very aggressive. The groundskeepers finally had to relocate them to a lake off campus because they were attacking the little children and small dogs walking with their parents and/or humans.

sprinkles said...

There's a park near me maybe a mile or two away that has ducks. I can't take my dogs to feed the ducks though. Dogs are only allowed to be in certain parts of the park so as to protect the ducks, I guess.

I used to feed the ducks/geese occasionally when the park first opened up to the public but quickly learned those ducks and geese will chase you for more once you stop.

glor said...

Your pictures and your walk are always so beautiful. Isn't nature just amazing. Do you keep a journal of your daily walks with Gizzy and your visits with nature (other then on here). Thanks for always sharing.

jp@A Green Ridge said...

Doris, please be careful around the goose. They can be mean...and keep little Gizmo away too! Beautiful pix...:)JP

val said...

I love your post, thanks for sharing!

Angela said...

Victoria must be the first and only friendly goose that I've ever seen or heard about! That's incredible how she just comes up to visit you like that and doesn't jump on Gizzy to get his food. Great pictures! I don't blame you for wanting to be outside! We love being outdoors but right now it is just too cold and snowy!

Have fun at the park!
Angela

Sherry said...

Fun post! In our part of the country sitting in front of the computer while the rain is dumping down, actually snow today, is easier in the winter. It is so great to watch animals interact, thanks for sharing you little story.

Janine said...

Wie süß, ich hab für Federvieh viel übrig, vor allem für Gänse.
Im Frühjahr hat mich ein Ganter in die Flucht gejagt, weil ich dem Gelege seines Weibchens zu Nahe gekommen bin. Ich bin ganz schön gerannt. Die Jungs können ganz schön rabiat werden ;0)

Canarella said...

So cute we have lake like that at two of our parks i love watching the birds no matter where they are