Gizzy in Heaven!

Gizzy in Heaven!
I love you forever and ever, Amen!

Followers

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Family Affair!

My entire family (except for my 33-year old daughter, Christina) lives in Germany and I have to express my thankfulness for my parents still being alive. If all goes well, I may get to see them one more time. I have a tentative trip to Germany planned for my 60th (June 2012), but I don't want to go in June. I want to go in December and visit the Nuremberg Christkindlsmarkt.

Here's my dad who turned 83 in December 2010


My parents have been divorced for decades and my dad has been remarried for many years. I have a sister, Daniela, that was born when I already lived in America. She's just 3 years older than my daughter, Christina.
Here's a recent photo of my sister, Dani.


Here's a photo of my mother and a nurse (she lives in a home.) My mother turned 84 in December, 2010, and I call her on a regular basis. She worries about me. I recently sent her a bunch of my crocheted hats so she can wear them because she doesn't want to fool with a perm anymore. (I don't blame her.)



I was born and raised an only child. My cousin, Brigitte, and I were very close growing up and always competing for our Oma's affections. But, we loved each other and have many fond memories of our childhood escapades. She has her own family, but she is very diligent about keeping in touch with me, sending me packages and photos and updating me of family affairs. This is Brigitte:


Brigitte is 3 years younger than I (55) and this is a recent photo of her at the Christkindlsmarkt in 2010.

The last photo was taken on my last visit to Germany back in 2003 and I have gone through a lot of changes since then, both physically and emotionally.


Wishing you and your family a happy Sunday!

22 comments:

Kathy said...

I FEEL FOR YOU NOT BEING TO SEE YOUR FAMILY WHEN YOU WANT.

AkasaWolfSong said...

Such a lovely sharing Doris! :)

To me you are beautiful...I didn't know you then but I know you now and I know too you are beautiful inside and out!

Godspeed on Your Trip Home Yes?
Yes!
Blessings Love!

Tummetott said...

Hallo Doris,
ein guter Grund, immer mal wieder nach Deutschland zurück zu kehren.
Liebe Grüße auch an Gizzy
Michaela

Faith said...

Thank you for sharing..I hope that you are able to get back thre and visit. You still have all of us until you can get back there....

San-Dee said...

What lovely photos to have since you cannot be with the family all the time. do plan your trip for December, you will be so happy to be there at a time you love.

OmaLindasOldeBaggsandStuftShirts said...

Doris: you have such a lovely family. I do hope you will be able to visit them when you want to. I have always dreamed of being able to visit Germany during Christmas season so I understand your reasoning. The market must be fantastic.
I hope you have a lovely Sunday as well. The Olde Bagg, Linda

Anonymous said...

What wonderful memories and photos. Thanks for sharing them with us.

Ann said...

So far away from your family. It must be difficult.
Nice to meet some of your family though

Chatty Crone said...

I enjoyed seeing your family Doris and you looked so happy in Germany.

I know it must be tough not being able to see them as much as you would like.

Great memories though.

Love,
sandie

Karin said...

I'm sure that's how my parents felt when they left Germany and emigrated to Canada, leaving the rest of their family (except for 3 of the 12 siblings who also moved to Canada) behind! I'm so glad that you are planning a trip! And yes, going at Christmas would be wonderful! What a beautiful family you have! Such lovely pictures!

Anke said...

Ich weiss genau wie es dir geht Doris. Wenn es nur nicht soweit waere und die Fluege immer teurer werden... Meine Schwester kommt mich dieses Jahr besuchen, aber meine Mama sehe ich wahrscheinlich erst naechstes Jahr wieder. Meine Oma ist mittlerweile 91 Jahre alt, und gesundheitlich geht es ihr zur Zeit gar nicht gut. Mach mir deswegen schon grosse Sorgen um sie - man ist halt so hilflos wenn man so weit weg wohnt...
Liebe Gruesse,
Anke

glor said...

Oh Doris, what beautiful pictures and family. You must miss them so. Glad to hear that a trip is in the works, a wonderful way to celebrate 60.

Ginny Hartzler said...

What wondderful pictures!! I am so glad you have given us a glimpse into your family. So how did you end up here while the the rest of them are in Germany? Was it because of getting married? Have you ever thought of moving back to be with them? But then you would not be near your daughter, where does she live and what does she do?

Nima said...

so nice to see your family...

Krafty Max Originals said...

I see where you get your smile Ms Doris!!! I hope you get to go home, I know you miss it! ~KM

gin said...

I love this post, Doris. Blessings on you and your family!!

Jennifer said...

Oh Doris, I wish the photos of my latest post were mine...but they are from various artists! You crochet! I wish I could learn, a busdriver at my school just made me a big bag full of little hats for preemi baby that are always needed at local hospital to keep the little ones heads warm. I put a post out a while ago and she filled a wish! Jennifer

- said...

Doris,
What wonderful family photos! The trip to Germany is certainly something to look forward to. Family resemblances galore here...but shhh, I think you are the most beautiful of all. The photo of your daughter a while back was absolutely gorgeous too.

Kerrie said...

This is a neat post!! You must miss them very much. Have you never wanted to move back to Germany? Hugs, Kerrie

Signing Out said...

What a lovely family you have, Doris! And, such beautiful photos of Germany. Thanks for sharing!

Jane
frugalfineliving.com

*Ulrike* said...

That is wonderful that you still have your parents living Doris. I know that it is really hard not to be able to visit when you want. I have tons of cousins over there closer to my age. Even though my father is the oldest all of my cousins here are my daughter's age! I miss seeing my German family. One good thing is that my cousin's son will be visiting us in April. Then my mom said my uncle and his young son will be coming sometime this year too.
It took 25 years for me to get back there the first time, 15 years the second, and this year it will be 3 years. At least with some of them I can skype. I hope that you will be able to make it back there soon, and yes it would be lovely in December!
Tschuss,
Ulrike

the booker man said...

doris,

thanks for sharing your family with us! it was nice to learn a bit more about you and your family in germany. why don't you plan your trip home for december 2011? then you can be there at christmas time, and you'll get to see your family sooner. :)

the booker man and asa's mama