Gizzy in Heaven!

Gizzy in Heaven!
I love you forever and ever, Amen!

Followers

Thursday, November 19, 2009

Pre-Thanksgiving treat

I adore fresh fruits and vegetables (with a few exceptions) and take every opportunity I get to eat fresh, raw and organic (IF I can find it). In my small town, there is usually a limited selection of produce, so I stick to seasonal, because that generally turns out to be the best. Around this time of year you can find fresh cranberries at the supermarkets, so naturally, I picked up a bag and also a small tray of kumquats. I've not had either for quite some time and decided to make my own cranberry relish. I also try to keep honey on hand for tea or a quick sweet fix, since I decided to stay away from white sugar as much as possible and only use a little brown sugar, if needed. Thankfully, I don't have a big sweet tooth, but I have to admit, that certain times of the year, I do indulge in things that I should not be eating (Easter and Christmas sweets are my faves). I also allow myself sweet, unsalted butter during the months of November and December, because I like to bake with unsweetened butter and since it's in the fridge, I enjoy a dab on my veggies or toast as well. To me, Butter rules! (and Gizzy agrees) Here's my pot with the fresh cranberries and kumquats. I added some water, honey and a stick of cinnamon and onto the burner they go. End Result: Delish! If you like the zest of the kumquat and the tartness of cranberries, you will love this. It has a nice kick unlike the tamed version in the can. (I do buy the cans throughout the year to use instead of jelly or jam.) You can always add more honey or sugar for more sweetness. I like mine a bit tart for pucker power! Don't forget to remove the cinnamon stick.

4 comments:

Abatevintage said...

Doris what a wonderful treat, it looks delicious.


ஐƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒஐღ ღஐƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒஐ Heidi ღஐƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄ƷஐღღஐƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒஐ

Kathy @ Sweet Up-North Mornings... said...

MMMMmmmm, looks and sounds delish! Love making Cranberry sauce! Posted a recipe myself a few posts back. I would love to try yours too! Have a great weekend, xoxo~Kathy @ Sweet Up-North Mornings...

Renee said...

That looks delicioius.

xoxo

Anonymous said...

Fantastic idea, I love the photos!

:) jess

p.s. (I love your "elf" dance video, so cute!)