Gizzy in Heaven!

Gizzy in Heaven!
I love you forever and ever, Amen!

Followers

Saturday, July 4, 2009

Independence Day!

Today is July 4th, Independence Day and this is why: On this day in 1776, the Declaration of Independence was approved by the Continental Congress, setting the 13 colonies on the road to freedom as a sovereign nation. As always, this most American of holidays will be marked by parades, fireworks and backyard barbecues across the country. Most Americans simply call it the "Fourth of July," on which date it always falls. Independence Day is regarded as the birthday of the United States as a free and independent nation. So, Happy Birthday America, and God Bless you! To help consumers use fireworks more safely, the CPSC offers these recommendations: Do not allow young children to play with fireworks under any circumstances! **Sparklers, considered by many the ideal "safe" firework for the young, burn at very high temperatures and can easily ignite clothing. Children cannot understand the danger involved and cannot act appropriately in case of emergency. **Older children should only be permitted to use fireworks under close adult supervision. Do not allow any running or horseplay. **Light fireworks outdoors in a clear area away from houses, dry leaves or grass and flammable materials. **Keep a bucket of water nearby for emergencies and for pouring on fireworks that don't go off. **Do not try to relight or handle malfunctioning fireworks. Douse and soak them with water and throw them away. Be sure other people are out of range before lighting fireworks. **Never ignite fireworks in a container, especially a glass or metal container. **Keep unused fireworks away from firing areas. **Store fireworks in a dry, cool place. Check instructions for special storage directions. **Observe local laws. **Never have any portion of your body directly over a firework while lighting. **Don't experiment with homemade fireworks. PARENTS SHOULD SUPERVISE THE ORDERING AND USE OF MAIL-ORDER "MAKE YOUR OWN" FIREWORK KITS AND COMPONENTS. MAIL-ORDER KITS AND COMPONENTS DESIGNED TO BUILD BANNED FIREWORKS ARE PROHIBITED. Have a happy and safe 4th of July weekend, no matter what you do, but especially if you have to be out on the road driving. I, for one, will be sticking close to home this year and be thankful for what I have and think about my loved ones - as they are all very far, far away! Maybe I'll finish the book I started to read about St. Francis of Assisi...one thing for sure, I'll be mostly inside because it's way too hot out there for me and Gizzy this time of year. Enjoy and have a hot dog for me ;-) Here's a great movie on the history of Independence Day; And, for those of you with a little more time and a decent Internet connection, I found this movie that touches every element surrounding 4th of July. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Samantha G said...

OH my goodness, I just noticed your patriotic bee. What a creative and unique idea! I love him!

Also about fireworks, I don't know where they were setting them off last night- but it made my whole apartment building shake and car alarms started going off. I felt like I was in a war zone...