Gizzy in Heaven!

Gizzy in Heaven!
I love you forever and ever, Amen!

Followers

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Honey Bees in Georgia

Since I've not talked about our beloved honey bees for a while, I am pleased to share some bee information that I found on the University of Georgia's website: Honey bees have been a subject of teaching and inquiry at the University of Georgia for decades. These marvelous insects are manageable and used to produce honey and pollinate crops. They are practical models of biological organization and social behavior. Honey bee research at the University of Georgia emphasizes sustainable bee health management as well as more basic questions on bee pollination and foraging ecology. At our dedicated facility at the UGA Horticulture Farm, we have space for offices and labs, trucks and equipment for managing up to 200 bee colonies, and easy access to perennial and annual crop plants. In all its initiatives, the UGA Honey Bee Program aims to develop research, teaching and extension initiatives that are locally responsive while globally relevant. If I ever decide to become a beekeeper, I can go here Metro Atlanta Beekeepers Association and become familiar with Georgia bee laws and other valuable information. Here's something I look forward to, namely the Honey Bee Festival in the city of Hahira, GA, the first weekend in October. In 2007, during our first Honey Bee Festival's visit, I entered my dog Gizzy in a dog show and he won a trophy for placing 2nd in the Best Groomed category. It was an impromptu entry on my part, since I had no idea there would be a dog show. Maybe this year (if I'm not going as a seller) I could actually work on getting my boy spiffy so that he has a chance at winning first place - IF he doesn't bite any of the judges (well, he was a good boy and didn't' bite anyone, well, not a judge anyway...but that's another story.) I can only go as a seller IF I can find someone to go with me to help me because it's still pretty hot during the first weekend in October. I can't possibly carry my goods and the set up all by myself without suffering a heat stroke. Setting up for a crafts fair is exhausting work! Besides, walking through all the different vendors and looking at everyone's items is so much more fun than being tied down to a booth for two days...they also have a parade and a lot of tasty foods to try. I recently became fond of boiled peanuts, which is something I never had living anywhere else, so it must be a Southern thing. I also tried the deep fried pickles (because I love pickles) but they were too salty and just not my cup of tea. I'd rather eat my pickle straight from the barrel or jar. If you are in the area, plan on visiting the Honey Bee Festival in Hahira, Georgia, on Friday and/or Saturday, October 2nd and 3rd, 2009. Here are a few examples of my crocheted bees, more of which you can find in my shop called Honey Bee Crochet by SturmDM on Etsy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Doris,

I absolutely love your crocheted bees, including the one hanging in my window!! I hope you are able to go to this festival, and think that as long as we all work to understand why the bees are disappearing in our little parts of the world maybe we can make a difference! j.

Doris Sturm said...

Thanks for the compliment, Jess and you're absolutely right. I contacted the festival's admin. people and they said they'll be accepting reservations for booths till mid-Sep., and by then I should know for sure if I can round up someone to go with me. I asked a lady before and she said she would, so I'll remind her again and make sure she can still go with me. It really is a great event!

Bearly Sane said...

Hi Doris,
What sort of dog is Gizzy? He's a real cutie pie, at first I though he was a little toy bear.
I also noticed you are a JD fan...me too!
I have added you to my reading list too, so we can chat from time to time.
Hugs,
Sandi